Monday, February 1, 2010

My British Heritage




The most amazing thing happened to me on Friday evening, I received a Facebook friend request from my cousin, Diane, in England. Sharing a little bit of history with you: My parents met in England while my dad was stationed there in the Air Force - talk about love at first sight - he walked into a little diner with some service buddies and he spotted my mother and he told his friends "that is the girl I am going to marry"! And marry her he did. They were married in 1962 and the following year I was born. I was nearly a year old when Dad was discharged and we came home to the states. In 1974 we made a trip over and spent six weeks with our Grandparents who had never met any of my siblings. Two of my uncles, George and Eddie, have made the trip over here, but other than that I haven't had much contact with my extended family. And out of the blue Diane accidentally comes across me on Facebook. We actually chatted over the weekend and I am so excited. I have been sharing pictures and info with Mom in Florida (she has a hard time navigating the computer - but she is trying) I know it made her cry this morning when she saw the photo. Can you imagine- 17 years old and married to an American and leaving everything you know to start a new life in a foreign land! Anyhow - it sure has made my weekend and hopefully plans will be in the making for a reunion - sometime, somehow. In the meantime we will play catch up on the good old Internet!

1 comment:

Holly C. said...

That's so cool that you are connecting with family via Facebook.

I didn't realize your mom met your dad met in England. I thought she moved here with her family when she was young. She still has a bit of that lovely English accent!

Post a Comment