Thursday, January 28, 2010

Heavy Heart


This is quite a depressing post and I am trying to find something uplifting to include. My heart is heavy today for my brother Brian, his wife Sue and their kids Jacob and Rebecca - as they will be attending the funeral of her cousin, Sgt. David Smith, a Marine who died from injuries incurred in a roadside bomb attack in Afghanistan. Then I get a phone call from Adam - who's close friend Darin is in Afghanistan, he has been confined to base work and now they are being sent out into the heart of the fighting in Marjah. Adam's unit is scheduled to deploy in January 2011 - this probably won't affect him because he is scheduled for discharge that summer. I don't think he will re-enlist :) That would be the uplifting part!! Why do our children have to fight and die - I guess war will be a part of life as long as evil exists.
Jimmy Stewart from the 1965 movie Shenandoah;

I don’t even know what to say to you
I’d like to know who’s winning the war.
The undertakers are winning the war.
The politicians they talk about it and glorify it.
The old men talk about it and they say we need it.
The young soldiers – well they just want to go home.

3 comments:

Holly C. said...

What a tragic loss this is.

Sharon said...

I know Holly- I can hardly stand to think about it!!

Kim said...

I pray and feel for our soldiers everyday and in my line of work I see so many young people start off in their career in a far away land. I realized this is their career, to serve our country and protect it and us, and unfortunately sometimes at a price to pay.

Very sad about the loss.

Post a Comment